Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Akureyri, Iceland


Alright, so I have trouble pronouncing the name of this place but there’s one thing I know for sure: Akureyri is absolutely beautiful. Its snowcapped mountains, adorable colored houses and charming streets simply took my breath away.

We only had about two hours to explore this small city so first stop was the souvenir store for our magnets. I got this cute metallic Viking magnet for me and a rubber Icelandic sheep magnet for my cousin Alyssa who also collects them. While looking around in the store, I fell in like with this really nice pullover but I gasped when I saw the pricetag. It was marked at 74,000 Iceland kroners, roughly 74 US dollars, or about 3,100 pesos. Holy crap. Nevermind. Everything here is super dee duper expensive.

After the shopping trip, we walked around their charming city. It’s very rural with narrow streets and small buildings. I absolutely loved it. Coupled with the view of their lush green mountains, I started thinking I wouldn’t mind living here at all. We just wandered around until we saw this hill with what looked like a church building on top. I wheezed my way up several flights of stairs, but it was worth it. The view from the top was totally breathtaking. We could see the ship, the city, the hills, the water, everything. I know I’m gushing right now but I’m not sure I can find the appropriate words to describe this place. Maybe the pictures will speak for me, instead.  

my mom and pop. lol. :)

breathtaking, right?


can you see the snow on the mountains?

how do you say this streetname?

i would like to order this, pls. just don't ask me to say it out loud. :)



whew.





climbing up those stairs made me hungry. time for some doritos and their local icelandic beer called Gull. Only 2.5% alcohol.




love!

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you write! It's so accurate and brief yet extensive. And it's great that you get to go out a lot na! I miss you sooo much! I wish I could travel with you. :)

    ReplyDelete