Thursday, August 11, 2011

Exploring Intramuros. Saint Malo, France


Shame on me but prior to this itinerary, I’ve never even heard of the island of Saint Malo. I was like, is that in England? Hehehe. So I did some very expensive research last night (internet rates on the ship is craaaazy) and found out that Saint Malo also has an Intramuros. The old city is surrounded by thick walls all around. It’s such a quaint little town with super narrow cobblestoned streets and old brick buildings.

I walked around mostly by myself although I did meet a lot of friends along the way. I just felt like being alone this afternoon. Living in the ship, I mean, I like it, but I must admit it can be quite claustrophobic sometimes: enclosed quarters and seeing the same people every day, I guess you’ll need a break sometime.

So I enjoyed walking around and exploring their walled city. It reminded me of another walled French city I’ve been to called Aigues Mortes. They’re both similar in the sense that you can almost feel the history of the place by just soaking in the surroundings. They’ve kept the same architecture but now of course the place is filled with shops and restaurants.

My heart almost skipped a beat when I entered this street filled with pastry shops, confectioneries and boulangeries. I could be here for days just trying to taste everything. I walked around a bit before I followed my nose and found this little shop called Maison Hector Gaufrerie and Sandwicherie. They had a beautiful display of the biggest beignets I’ve ever seen. Bigger than my face even. Lol. I knew I just had to get one. And may I just say that it was super rich and super delicious, filled to bursting with my favorite filling: Nutella. Yummy! Nothing could’ve made it better except for maybe some bananas. Heehee. But as much as I enjoyed that freshly fried beignet (it’s almost like a fancy French doughnut), I just couldn’t finish the whole thing. I did my best though.

So all in all, I had such a great day today. Who knew I would enjoy Saint Malo so much when I’d never even heard of it before? There’s a lot of truth in that statement about how the best things in life can come from the unexpected.  





 isn't this the cutest post office building ever?


 huge stacks of nutella on the 2nd floor. forget about robbing a bank, how bout here instead?
 lookit my huge beignet! bigger than my face noh? :)


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Ate Bing. We're in Catmon enjoying budbud bulanghoy and bibingka, while reading your blog, which we've just recently discovered (I like the colors...my favorite). Tita Jill says next time, let us know how to pronounce beignet...altho we could just look it up :). It's great to read all about your adventures and see all the great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so pretty na muhmeh! and the architecture is sooo cool over there! love it! i'm drooling over your beignet too! huhu! take care always! great to know you're having fun. :)

    ReplyDelete