Monday, July 18, 2011

Only Girl in the World (or in the Kitchen anyway)

Earlier today, top management took our passengers around in our kitchen for a tour. We’ve had it once before but what was funny about this one today was what our food and beverage manager said. When they entered the pastry kitchen and he saw me working there, he was like, “before we only had males in our kitchen but as you can see now, we are slowly accepting women in the workplace.” So yes, it was totally sexist and I kinda felt like an animal at the zoo on display, but I have to admit, it was pretty cool, too.

I’m proud of being the first female they’ve had as a cook in this ship (a few other ships in the fleet already have women in the kitchens, too). There are a lot of challenges such as the heavy lifting, the long, loooooong hours on your feet, and most significantly for me, a bathroom five floors down. The only bathroom they have in the kitchen is for males so I have the honor of going all the way down to my cabin just to pee. 

Someday maybe it’ll change. Maybe there’ll come a day when there’s an equal number of both sexes in the kitchen. 

It’s time we start evening out the odds. ;p

 

2 comments:

  1. LOL. Animal at the zoo on display?! This is so cool. You're officially the iron lady! I so proud you, muhmeh! You're living my dream. Wish I could be there with you. Take care always! :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go, Zoot! we miss you...

    ReplyDelete