Friday, July 29, 2011

Qaqortoq, Greenland


I remember this one scene in I think the third mighty ducks movie when Coach Bombay was talking to this girl from Iceland. She said that contrary to the name, Iceland was actually really green and Greenland is full of ice. That line got stuck in my head and I consider myself very lucky that during this cruise en route to Europe, I’ll be able to see if it really is true.

Today we were in Qaqortoq, Greenland and when I looked outside, guess what I saw? An iceberg in the middle of the sea, maybe just a mile offshore. It was awe inspiring. I mean, it is the middle of summer here. I think and here was this lone iceberg. What a sight.

So I guess it’s true. There really is ice in Greenland. J

My friends Randy, Jason and I wandered around the teeny tiny town on Qaqortoq, and aside from the beautiful flowers and the beautiful huskies everyone seemed to have, there really wasn’t that much to see. And with the dollar so weak right now, it cost too much to buy anything but the prerequisite magnet which cost me eight dollars by the way. It’s frikkin highway robbery. Anyway.   

We’re spending the next 2 days at sea and on August 1, we’ll be in Reykjavik, Iceland. Time to check if their country really is as green as they say it is. And all my friends say it’s really pretty with lots of things to buy and see so I’m really excited!!  

I’m sorry I don’t have too much time to write about the details but it’s 12:30am now, and I have to be in the kitchen early. Toodles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment